“American Idol” kicked off last night. Katy Perry, Luke Bryan, and Lionel Richie are serving as judges on ABC’s incarnation of the singing competition. With Ryan Seacrest serving as the host, it seems like the same old show.
They’re currently in the audition phase, with stops in New York, Los Angeles, and Nashville. Here are some highlights.
- Alyssa Raghu sang “Almost in Never Enough,” but it was exactly what she needed to make it to Hollywood. The 15-year-old had one of the best auditions of the evening.
- Noah Davis said he wanted to be the male Beyoncé. While he may not achieve that status, his voice was golden AND he played piano while singing “Stay” by Rihanna. The judges had no choice but to send him to Hollywood.
- Dennis Lorenzo spoke about growing up without his father, who was killed when he was five. The 26-year-old moved from Philadelphia to Los Angeles on a wing and a prayer. Luckily, his rendition of “Unaware” was enough to take him to the next round.
- Nico Bones, a 22-year-old from Long Beach, California did “Worms.” Katy called him and his style “dope,” but neither she nor the rest of the judges felt like his dopeness was enough to allow him to continue.
- Sardor Milan won a singing competition in Russia. Unfortunately, his vocal stylings didn’t play that well in America. The judges suggested that he try Broadway.
The Downright Ugly
- Koby tried to use the girlfriend vibe to get in with Katy. But the musical theater actress, who did an original song, was horrific. And when she didn’t make it, she got an attitude. Like, a REALLY nasty one.
The auditions continue tonight at 8pm on ABC.
Source: ABC/American Idol